Hamzah Zainudin’s Son Charged with Receiving RM100,000 Bribe

Hamzah Zainudin’s Son Charged with Receiving RM100,000 Bribe

KUALA LUMPUR: The opposition leader’s son, Datuk Seri Hamzah Zainudin, pleaded not guilty in the Sessions Court here today to a charge of receiving a RM100,000 bribe to secure a company’s tender six years ago.

The company consultant, Muhammad Faisal, 40, wearing a black coat, made the plea after the charge was read before Judge Rozina Ayob.

“I plead not guilty,” said the father of four.

According to the charge, he was alleged to have received the bribe from an individual as an inducement for Heitech Padu Berhad to appoint Rimba Merpati Sdn Bhd and Per My Solutions as marketing consultants due to his influence.

Subsequently, the two companies were paid a commission of RM700,000 after Heitech Padu was awarded the tender for ‘Supply, Rental, Implementation, Training, Support, and Maintenance of Security Infrastructure’ worth RM33 million by the Companies Commission of Malaysia at an office in Publika Shopping Gallery, Jalan Dutamas 1, here in March 2018.

The charge was made under Section 16(a)(A) of the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission Act 2009, which carries a penalty under Section 24(1) of the same Act.

The section provides for imprisonment for up to 20 years and a fine of not less than five times the amount of the bribe, or if the bribe is valued or in the form of money, or RM10,000, whichever is higher, if convicted.

During the proceedings, Deputy Public Prosecutor Mahadi Abdul Jumaat suggested that the former Minister of Home Affairs’ son be granted bail of RM30,000 with one surety.

“This includes additional conditions: surrendering his passport to the court, reporting to the MACC office here, and not interfering with prosecution witnesses.

“The court needs to consider the background of the accused in this case, who is the son of a former minister,” he said.

However, defense lawyer Ravinder Singh Dhalliwal appealed for his client to be granted bail at a lower rate.

“The defense does not object to the additional conditions proposed by the prosecution, but Muhammad Faisal needs to travel abroad for the opening of a hostel in Thailand,” he said.

After hearing submissions from both parties, Rozina allowed the accused to be bailed for RM25,000 with one surety and to comply with the additional conditions proposed by the prosecution, including blacklisting him from leaving the country.

The court fixed July 5 for the next mention of the case.
Last year, Muhammad Faisal and another individual were charged with nine counts of presenting false documents and possessing controlled cooking oil exceeding the permitted limit in the Seremban Sessions Court, Negeri Sembilan.

CATEGORIES
Share This

COMMENTS

Wordpress (0)
Disqus ( )