Attack on Ulu Tiram Police Station: Attacker Had No Larger Agenda, Acted Alone – Saifuddin

Attack on Ulu Tiram Police Station: Attacker Had No Larger Agenda, Acted Alone – Saifuddin

JOHOR BAHRU: The main suspect who attacked the Ulu Tiram Police Station on Friday, resulting in the deaths of two police officers, had no larger motive or agenda, said Home Minister Datuk Seri Saifuddin Nasution Ismail. He stated that this conclusion was reached after the Royal Malaysia Police (PDRM) interviewed 46 individuals to assist in the investigation, including five family members of the attacker who are now in police custody.

According to Saifuddin, the incident does not appear to lead to any further issues, and the police assure that public safety and security remain their priority. “This attacker acted alone, what we call a lone wolf, driven by motivations he understood because he did not interact with others.

“Therefore, we can make an early conclusion from the interviews that this was a solitary act, not part of a larger mission or organized group.

“Initially, it appears that the perpetrator was an individual who was a member of a family but did not interact with the community. Hence, his actions were solitary, and we will try to establish what sources motivated him to act this way,” he said during a press conference at the Johor Police Contingent Headquarters here today.

Saifuddin added that the attacker has been confirmed as a Malaysian citizen in his 20s, while his family members are being investigated under Section 302 of the Penal Code.

On Friday, Inspector General of Police Tan Sri Razarudin Husain reported that the incident began when two individuals, who are students at a higher education institution, arrived at the police station to report a molestation case that occurred two years ago.

Constable Ahmad Azza Fahmi Azhar and Constable Muhamad Syafiq Ahmad Said were killed after being attacked from behind by a masked man.

Both officers died at the scene before another security personnel, Corporal Mohd Hasif Roslan, arrived and exchanged gunfire with the attacker.

Following the incident, the attacker was shot dead, while Mohd Hasif was injured and is receiving treatment at Sultan Ismail Hospital here.

Razarudin, in a press conference on Friday, stated that the suspect is believed to be a member of the Jemaah Islamiyah (JI) group, based on evidence found at his home in Ulu Tiram.

Additionally, Saifuddin said that the police have 217 years of experience, expressing confidence in their ability to manage the incident and continue monitoring any potential terrorist groups.

“I also ask the public to stop speculating and give the police space to complete their investigation, reiterating our commitment to public safety and security. The police will do their utmost to handle and resolve this incident, ensuring overall peace and security.

“I want to assure that the police force, with our 217 years of experience, has a sufficient database to manage such incidents. Therefore, if we have background information on individuals previously involved in any activities, the police approach is to continue engaging with them.

“The police will continue ensuring their rehabilitation process, so they do not become a threat to society,” he added.
Seven individuals arrested yesterday for their suspected connection to the attack on the Ulu Tiram Police Station will be brought to the Johor Bahru Magistrate’s Court today to obtain a remand order.

The seven individuals include five family members of the suspect, aged 19 to 62, detained following a raid at the family’s residence early yesterday morning.
Also remanded are two higher education institution students who were present at the police station before the incident, believed to have connections to the case.

CATEGORIES
Share This

COMMENTS

Wordpress (0)